Current management of various cardiac disorders includes complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures; handling of these equipments and tools as well as their regular maintenance requires advanced and focused knowledge of the scientific principles on which the tests and equipments function, as well as to have hands-on skill in using these equipments correctly and safely. The personnel who carry out these responsibilities also must have adequate knowledge of structure and function of the human body, especially the cardiovascular system. Optimal delivery of cardiovascular health care is based on the safe use of the equipments and devices.
Cardio vascular technologist is an integral member of healthcare profession. They use various imaging technologists to assist physicians in deterring what the problem with a patient heart is. Entry level technologist perform electrocardiogram (ECG) & may set up stress tests & holter monitoring, can perform more diagnose tests using sonography & other type of non-invasive procedures.
Cardiovascular /cardiac care technology use a varity of procedures , instruments and technologies to diagnose and treat cardiac and vascular problems
• Cardiovascular technologists use various imaging modalities to assist the physician in detecting the problems in heart.
• Students learn to record ECG, operate Echo machine as well as assist the cardiologist in cath labs.
• They perform electrocardiograms (EKGS) ,
• Exercise stress test(TMT)
• Echocardiography (Cardiac ultrasound)
• Cardiac catheterization techniques
• Other types of invasive and non – invasive procedures
• Advanced life support techniques like intra aortic balloon pump ,
• pacemakers, ICDs , CRTS , LVADs.
Duration shall be for a period of Four years, which includes six semesters and one year of internship and concepts in cardio vascular areas.
• Duration :- Certification Courses – One Year (Two Semester)
• Diploma Courses – Two Year (Four Semester)
• Bachelor Degree Courses – Three Year (Six Semester)
• Bachelor Degree with Honours Courses – Four Year (Eight Semester)
To evolve an well trained and qualified Cardiovascular technologist capable of working independently in the field of Cardiology. The course is designed to enable the student to apply specialized occupational theory, skills and concepts in cardio vascular areas.
*Well equipped Cardiac catheterization and Intervention laboratory
*Well equipped Echocardiographic Laboratory with accrediation
• Mechanism in place for ordering urgent echoes
• Capable of performing M-mode, 2D, color/spectral (flow + tissue)/continuous wave Doppler
• ECG/physio, depth/flow calibrations on the display
• Split/quad screen format if perform stress
• Full range of transducers including non-imaging CW
• Multiplane if TEE,Harmonic imaging and Dobutamine stress echocardiography
• Digital storage compatible with DICOM standards
• contrast agents, IV s, resuscitation equipment
* Well equipped Electrocardiogram(ECG) and Tread mill test (TMT) room.
* Competent & highly skilled teaching staff and faculties with vast experience in Cardio Vascular technology
A candidate seeking admission to B.Sc. Cardiovascular Technology shall have completed the age of 17 as on 31st December of the year of admission and have studied English as one of the principle subject during the tenure of the course
1. Two year Pre-University examination or equivalent as recognized by University with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as principle subjects of study. OR
2. Pre-Degree course from a recognized University considered as equivalent by University, (two years after ten years of schooling) with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as principle subjects of study. OR
3. Any equivalent examination recognized by the University for the above purpose with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as principle subjects of study. OR
4. The vocational higher secondary education course conducted by Vocational Higher Secondary Education, Government of Kerala with five subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English in addition to vocational subjects conducted is considered equivalent to Plus Two examinations of Government of Karnataka. OR
5. Candidates with two years Diploma from a recognized Government Board in a subject for which the candidate desires to enrol, in respect to B.Sc. Cardiovascular Technology shall have passed plus 2 [10+2] with Physics, Chemistry and Biology, as principal subjects or candidates with 3 years diploma from a recognized Government Board in a subject for which the candidate desires to enrol.
6. Lateral entry to second year allied health science courses for candidates who have passed Diploma program from the Government Boards and recognized by University, fulfilling the conditions specified under Sl. No. 5 are eligible to take admission on lateral entry system only in the same subject studied at diploma level.
Admission to B.Sc.Cardiovascular Technology will be based on the results of Srinivas University Entrance Test (SUET) held in that year.
The course is designed to enable the student to apply specialized occupational theory, skills and concepts in cardio vascular areas.
|First Semester Subjects||Second Semester Subjects||Third Semester Subjects|
General Anatomy ,general Physiology
Introduction to cvt part 1
Constitution of india
Patient contact protocol
General biochemistry, General Pathology
Introduction to cvt part 2
Environment science and helath
General sterilization and disinfection
General microbiology, general pharmacology
Basics of ECG
Diagnostics and therapeutics in cardiology
Clinical practical skills 1
Sports and arts
|Fourth Semester Subjects||Fifth Semester Subjects||Sixth Semester Subjects|
Clinical practical skills 2
Sports and arts
Basics of echocardiography
Basics of cardiac catheterization and intervention
Basics in clinical cardiology
Advanced cardiac catheterization and intervention
Advanced clinical cardiology
Cardiovascular and cardiac care technologist at private and government hospital
Cardiac sonographers at clinics and hospitals
Cathlab technologist at hospitals
ECG,TMT, Holter monitoring etc.
If they specialise in Echocardiography they may operate ultrasound equipment to take a close look at the chambers, valves & vessels of human heart .
On the other hand a technologist can assist doctors by working in cardiac catheterisation laboratory & help doctors to diagnose heart issues.
Cardiovascular technologist needs the ability to communicate technical information clearly to patients of all ages, must be patient & who will be undergoing to be able to calm patients who will be undergoing potentially uncomfortable & intimidating procedures.
Employment growth for cardiovascular technologists will be much faster than the average for all occupations
Taking a postgraduate (M.Sc) course and P.H.D after this course
|S.No||Courses||Duration||Annual Fee Structure|
B.Sc. (Cardio Vascular Technology)
Eligibility : Pass in 10+2/PUC with Physics, Chemistry & Biology (NRI : 25K extra in I Year
|3+1 Year as per N.E.P||Year I : Rs. 2,53,000*
Year III : Rs. 1,50,500
Year III : Rs. 1,50,500
Total: Rs. 5,54,000
|Year I : Rs. 2,25,000*
Year III : Rs. 1,25,500
Year III : Rs. 1,25,500
Total: Rs. 4,76,000
(1) University Registration Fee, Eligibility Fee for other State/NRI students, Examination Fee, Uniform Fee, Hostel Fee, Industry visit fee, Internship fee, Transportation fee, Sports & games fee, Extra-curricular activity fee, etc., are extra. The course fees mentioned for subsequent years may vary annually up to 6%. (2) The University Placement & Training Team will assist the admitted students to get (a) Earn While Learn, (b) Industry Internship, and (c) Final Job Placement. (3) Karnataka Quota* : 1. Applicable only to Karnataka students having 50% or more in the applicable subject combination. 2. To be considered as Karnataka domicile student should have studied 7 years including PUC in the Karnataka.